Teachers Pay Teachers

Pre-K, Kindergarten, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Adult Education, Babies/Toddlers, Elementary School, Middle School, High School - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Big Day Part 2


I would love to say that I could blog exactly what happened today and what we found out, but honestly it was so much to take in...I cannot. What I can tell you is exactly what I got from the Occupational Therapy evaluation and what it means for Luke.

Luke definitely has sensory motor issues, especially oral. I knew this, as I have been telling everyone that I could that I thought there was something wrong that he put everything in his mouth~but you know...I am just his mother~lol!!!


OK~so back to the evaluation.

Jessica Hunt is an OT and the director of Occupational Therapy and Sensory Motor Issues at the Kaufman Children's Center. She evaluated and conferenced with us for over 2 hours this afternoon. She will send this report to us in a few weeks and share any information with Luke's OT. When we leave, we will have a definite plan of action for Luke's success. :)


To put it in a nutshell~Luke has sensory motor issues that are possibly contributing to his problems with speech (jaw instability, etc), eating/drinking problems, low muscle tone, hypotonia that causes his hips way too much movement, they turn in and this causes his feet (flat) to also turn in. (They plan to either tape him or fit him for a suit that will turn his hips and keep his feet straight) There is much, much more~but I honestly can't remember it all. I am about to do some self imposed homework (2 sensory motor books about 2 or 3 inches thick, each) and hopefully will gain more knowledge that I can impart later.


But the biggest part of all of this~is that it can all be "fixed" and that because we are so aggressive and early with these interventions~he will be fine.


We have lots of work ahead of us and the road will not always be easy, but we know that we can do this thing. God has paved the way...all we have to do is follow His lead.

Thanks again for all the well wishes, prayers and support~they mean so much! We are truly overwhelmed by the kind words and encouragement.

And to leave you with some more hope and smiles~Luke worked on lots of words today, even saying sentences~so, I am positive that he will be saying some of them on his own, soon!!!

PS We signed up to come back to the Kaufman Children's Center for Spring Break. We knew that this wouldn't be our only trip to Michigan and feel so strongly about what we are learning here that we made an appointment to come back for a tune up in the spring.

2 comments:

The Words in Your Heart said...

I read this post several days ago, and I just had to come back to ask a question...in the post you mentioned about your son having flat feet because of hypotonia causing them to turned in...was anything ever done for that?
We are going back to the Dr in two weeks and I was already planning to bring it up. I noticed that my sons feet are very flat and his ankles turn in. He wears out the insides of his feety pajamas. He was in OT but we are in the middle of switching places so I haven't had a chance to bring it up to them.
Anyways, I was just curious if your son had to receive any further help in that regard.
Thank you for your time,
Amber

Mommy Square said...

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. The KCC is very thorough and so are we. We did have Luke evaluated by an orthopedist prior to this trip and even again after the KCC's findings and recommendations. Thankfully, he has continued to improve in movement. We did the taping and the wraps while at the KCC for the first visit, but didn't have to after that because he kept improving.

Hope this helps. Would love to hear more from you and read your new blog. Glad that you found us and found encouragement and support!