Teachers Pay Teachers

Pre-K, Kindergarten, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Adult Education, Babies/Toddlers, Elementary School, Middle School, High School - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 2 at the KCC

I am still very anxious~I always am, but Nancy reminded me today that my anxiousness (if continued) will cause Luke stress. Immediately I was brought back to the scripture that I had read this morning. Someone shared it with me this week and it has such a message...

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.


Although this journey is not the one I would have planned for us (meaning it is not what I would have wanted for Luke if I had the power to map out his life)...I know that the Lord will provide and take care of us.

Honestly, he already has.

All I need to do is to show this strength, not just in my words, but in my expressions and actions...so that Luke will know that we can do this. He needs to know that we have faith that he can overcome apraxia of speech and sensory processing disorder.

Luke had 2 fabulous sessions with Nancy and a long OT session specializing in sensory processing disorder with Jason, as well as our consults with both of them. I am still learning and have a long way to go, but Brad is really getting the hang of all of this. Primarily I have been the one researching and learning and he has just gone along with the flow, but now he is taking a bigger role in asking probing questions.

Sorry I can't get the pics uploaded~something is wrong with this blog now and I hope to figure it out soon~so I can post the pics. The vest was used in speech today to try to get him to sit up straight and produce a better sound with good posture.

We are hearing LOTS more parts of words and sounds that we have never heard Luke produce before. One that really stands out is the "t" sound. He is also saying words that I have never heard him produce before. They are still working on word phrases and sentences, like "all done", "my turn", "up high", "put these away" and "I throw the ball".

We worked with OT in a pool of rice and beans, ball pit, various swings and in a very long consult. They are testing his skin tonight to see if it will "take" taping to rotate his hips. If it works, they will tape him tomorrow and we will see how that works. We are also going to look into purchasing a suit that would do the same thing, instead of having to tape him.

They are going to work with our people at home and help them understand Luke's needs in therapy. They promised us that although we won't be coming to therapy at the KCC on a regular basis, they will still consult and be there for us, should we need them.

We spent the rest of the afternoon having fun and exploring Detroit. We even saw Canada today :) and enjoyed Detroit's version of a nature zoo.

We are just as excited about what tomorrow will bring, minus the pressure~because right now...we can rest and renew...we are here and we are getting the best possible help we could for Luke.

No comments: