Teachers Pay Teachers

Pre-K, Kindergarten, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Adult Education, Babies/Toddlers, Elementary School, Middle School, High School - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Friend to Friend Post

A friend posted on an Apraxia Discussion Board this question~and I just had to repost the question and my other (dear) friend's response. 

I hope neither of them minds, but it was just too good not to share.  I often feel like this, but don't tell anyone. 

Here is the question that was posted:
So, do the rest of you moms go through this? One day you're flying high over some little bit of progress or a glimpse into the inner workings of your child's mind. The next, you see how far you have to go, and think about how long it will take to get there. :)

Response from KGB: 
I feel like you are describing me on a daily basis! I particularly plummet into the dumps after doctor appointments and play groups.

At the Dr's appointment I get so sad hearing, delay this and delay that.

At playgroups, I find myself doing the worst thing ever, comparing my child to the others.

It only takes a second for my mind to start careening out of control about all the things he can't do and to start worrying about the future......preschool, kindergarten, high school and college.

Right now it feels like he will never talk simply for talking sake. It is also hard for him to do lots of things that require complex motor planning. I also start thinking that he is going to jump around forever and imagine him at 17 and not talking and jumping.

About this time, I need a good shaking. My husband and ST are good at this!!

The deal with delays in the little guys is that you just don't know what is going to happen and how they are going to recover. In some ways I feel confident that we are going to look back on all of this in 20 years and wonder why we worried so much. Our kids will be chatting away and we will tell them about the time when we spent thousands of dollars and hours trying to get them to talk.

Like everything else in life it is just one day at a time. As much as it pains me to say it, one of the most appropriate and sometimes irritating quotes is, Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

I am so thankful that I am not the only one who lets myself go there sometimes.  I know that God has a plan for us~and it is all to happen on his time, not ours.  I stay positive most of the times, but with all of the obstacles that we face...it is sometimes hard.  It helps to know that you aren't the only one.  ;)

No comments: