Teachers Pay Teachers

Pre-K, Kindergarten, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Adult Education, Babies/Toddlers, Elementary School, Middle School, High School - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Key~


I have been praying that I would find a way to fund all of these therapies that Luke needs in order to be able to speak. 

And I have been having LOTS of conversations with God.  And I feel like he is leading me...I keep going back and forth with how can we afford this extra therapy, applying for grants, searching for help, searching for ways, searching for an answer...

I woke up early on Christmas Eve and was lead to a blog that ended up having a really good message and they were raising money with giveforward.com 

Because some people have asked if we would share our story with others and set up an account online, I did a little research and decided to give it a shot.  So, I launched the Unlocking Luke's Voice page on the Give Forward site.

http://www.giveforward.com/unlockinglukesvoice 

Although we haven't gotten any donations yet, we have had lots of positive responses from it.  It has been set up to run from now until February 23...that means 2 months to raise $3,000. (the cost of extra therapy until spring)
I mean, how can I explain to Luke that I tried to help him, but didn't do everything in my power to achieve it. 

We went all the way to Michigan to get a diagnosis and devise a plan of action~and were told that he could be taught to speak...if we used the correct methods and the intensity that is needed~he could talk!  I just can't stop now...

Yes, we are making progress...baby steps, but as soon as we take one forward~it seems like we take 3 more backwards.  :( 

We keep saying that we need more therapy and keep begging for it, but nothing has really come through, especially not Babies Can't Wait (which is ultimately because of cutbacks from the state)  See~it was explained that if we ask for more services, it sends a red flag to the state that someone isn't doing their job. 

How can that be though, Luke has the diagnosis of CAS (Childhood Apraxia of Speech) which research shows needs more intensive speech therapy and more occupational therapy to be able to train the brain to speak? 

I just don't get it.  Neither does anyone that I share this story with. 

But while everyone keeps passing the buck, between BCW, doctors and insurance~Luke is just in limbo, getting the minimal assistance. 

Ultimately, we are just going to have to buckle down and provide it ourselves.

SO, I present the Key~Mrs. Amy Struble of Keystone Therapy Services. 

Amy and I met when I was just about at my wit's end, ready to give up and throw the towel in (not really but sometimes I have to throw myself a pity party~and then pick myself up and refocus). 

With all the roadblocks and set backs~it would be easy to give up, but that's when I turned to God and said...if this is Your will, then let it be done...and He produced a way. 

I have said before that His hand has been on all of this.  (From me finding Kaufman, to going to her conference in Jax, to her agreeing to take Luke at the KCC because there was a cancelation, to the funding our trip to the KCC) 

He is the master planner, even when I try to micromanage~He knows the route He wants me to take.  He has plans for Luke, for me and for our family.

Amy has experience with apraxic kids and has used Kaufman's methods, along with others. 

We both feel that this will benefit Luke :) and she is just as excited as we are about the possibilities.  Speech/language and helping others is her passion and Keystone Therapy Services is her business. 

I cannot tell you how good I felt after our nearly two hour meeting~it was at the end, when she told me that she had prayed about our meeting and we grasped each other's hands, that I knew this was His plan.

Please consider donating a dollar or two to Unlocking Luke's Voice~you can enter any amount. 

Go online to give by credit card at http://www.giveforward.com/unlockinglukesvoice

or mail a check to:

Unlocking Luke's Voice
c/o Valdosta First United Methodist Church
PO Box 1306
Valdosta, Ga 31603-1306

(please write Luke Tarpley in the memo)

No comments: