Teachers Pay Teachers

Pre-K, Kindergarten, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Adult Education, Babies/Toddlers, Elementary School, Middle School, High School - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Monday, May 10, 2021

Chit Chat

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Right.
Here.

If we had not found Nancy Kaufman and Kaufman Children's Center, Luke would have not been diagnosed with Childhood Apraxia of Speech until 3 years old (or later) even though CAS was suspected by an SLP during an evaluation by Babies Can't Wait (Georgia's Early Intervention) when Luke was 18 months old.

ASHA (American Speech and Hearing Association) suggests that SLPs wait until after the age of 3 to diagnose CAS, so most SLPs won't.

But Nancy Kaufman isn't most SLPs.

She. Is. The. Best.
THE Childhood Apraxia of Speech Queen.
I even made her a plate that says it.

Although she was a
little hesitant to display it, concerned that parents would think she was self proclaiming it....I am proud that it is still in her office. Almost 2 and a half years after we presented it to her ;)

This week marked a year since we had been to the KCC for intensive therapy.

On Monday, April 28, 2013 Luke opened the doors of the KCC (for what would be our 6th trip since 2010) and even though he had just gotten out of his mouth that he was going to tell Nancy thank you.......in true Luke fashion, he announced "I don't need to see Nancy Kaufman. I can talk now."

I wasn't sure how Nancy would take his news, but she didn't miss a beat.

She agreed that he didn't need her anymore and she was beaming with a real maternal pride. Tears filled her eyes and mine as we watched Luke, the now 4 and a half year old, chattering away.

After catching up, talking about our therapy schedule and the week's goals....Nancy went to work her magic on more children.



2 comments:

Unspoken Words said...

I saw that sign in Nancy's office. :)
I'm so happy that Luke is progressing so well. Your blog is one of the first I came upon when we started our journey.
I will also add that my son's future slp through the school district for next year informed me that she can't believe anyone would diagnose him with apraxia at such a young age. But Nancy Kaufman did. I couldn't believe the SLP was questioning Nancy Kaufman, THE expert on apraxia. LOL!!! I want to print your blog post and mail it to her. ;)

Mommy Square said...

Glad that you recognized the sign and that you found us on your journey. I cannot believe your school SLP for next year opened her mouth and inserted her foot. She must not know much about apraxia. Definitely print and serve her with this post ;) Thankfully our SLPs at home have always been supportive and have wanted to learn anything that would help Luke. I wish that our school system would be more supportive in sending SLPs, OTs, teachers and support staff to Childhood Apraxia of Speech, Sensory Processing Disorder and Auditory Processing Disorder training.