Teachers Pay Teachers

Pre-K, Kindergarten, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Adult Education, Babies/Toddlers, Elementary School, Middle School, High School - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Monday, July 15, 2013

Reaching New Heights

Never did I think that I would attend the CASANA conference.  (For those of you reading who don't know what that is...its the mecca for information about Childhood Apraxia and it happens once a year)

I had secretly hoped that one day, after we were done with intensives and the many therapies that I would go.

With help from the Georgia Council for Disabilities, this secret little dream of mine became a reality. I attended the CASANA Conference 2013 that was held in Denver, Colorado.


I was able to learn from the best of the best about apraxia; the latest research, the cutting edge therapy techniques, the genetic pieces of the puzzle, and much, much more. 


Thinking Outside the App with the AZ Speech Guy aka Jeremy Legaspi, M.S., CC-SLP


Phonological Awareness with Dr. Amy Skinder-Meredith 


Play and Social Thinking with Nancy Tarshis, MA, MS, CC-SLP


But most importantly I met other mothers and families that have experienced apraxia firsthand.  We shared stories during our breaks, met over food, and even bonded by painting.



I had my copy of Anything but Silent autographed by Kate Hennessy and I finished reading it in about 2 hours ;)



Smiling with Brooke about finally meeting in real life


Mary Squared: Mary Mahon (an iMum) and Mommy Square


Our group's table at Canvas' and Cocktails


Nancy Kaufman and I with our finished masterpieces


At the luncheon, they announced that the 10th annual CASANA conference will be in Nashville, Tennessee! Yee-haw!!!


And then there was my chance meeting with this mama. She is the epitome of the word warrior and is just as crazy as I am about winning the war on apraxia. The similarities between us are so close that it is almost scary. I am positive that God knew we needed to meet.

My spirit is renewed and I returned home to spread and share the information gained with others. 









No comments: